Wednesday 5 February 2014

Letters from the War front 21 October 1940

The fifth letter in this series is rather long, in fact, it is the longest letter that  I have.

"Lomani" means Love in Fijian, a reference to my Grandmothers heritage.

I was fairly young when my Grandfather passed, although I have very distinct memories of the way he spoke, the way he carried himself, and how he conversed with those around him. As I read his words, I can almost feel him standing here in front me. It's quite surreal.

I am fortunate enough to be in possession of a letter from the Mrs. Turner referred to, and will publish this next post. I have to admit if it was me in a strange country, I am not so sure I would be entering the vehicle of a person I did not know - no matter how snazzy it might have been!

Jacaranda's have been a favourite of my mothers, no doubt she gets it from my Grandmother. I have some botanical books that belonged to my Grandma, and I wonder if perhaps some of the love of nature came from the many "samples" gathered by my Grandfather during his travels.

"Ern" is another family member enlisted to the military.

I do wonder how it happened that some men were left behind?!








No comments:

Post a Comment